Friday, December 11, 2009

she got down on one knee.



Disclaimer: See below

So my uncle sent me this article the other day about the increasing popularity of women proposing to men. Weird huh? Apparently, not so much. So here's a piece of my brain. Ten reasons why men should propose to women or ten reasons why women should leave the proposals to the guys - whichever one works best for you. Click here for the article.

10 & 9. It's a guy thing. It's a girl thing.
Here we have the man and his blueprints laid out for the perfect proposal. He's gone over the game plan several times, dressing up one of his best friends in a wig and a skirt, reciting the same lines over and over again. On the other side, we've got the girl anxiously waiting, not knowing the day nor the time. Her friends are constantly checking that one important finger, asking whether or not it's ever gonna happen. "Like, oh my gosh! Haven't you guys been like going out since like forever?!?!" Now imagine if the roles were reversed!

8. It puts a real dent in a man's ego.
Here, I speak for myself and potentially other guys as well. I'm not sure about you, but I wouldn't want to be known as the guy that got proposed to. So women, before you get all hasty, make sure your man's okay with you proposing to him. But doesn't that defeat the whole point?

7. Don't send the wrong message.
Although this reverse proposal business is increasing in popularity, most men still feel that proposing is their prerogative - that it's something they have control over. So I think it's important to ask yourself why exactly you're choosing to propose. Do you have your reasons straightened out? This goes for both guys and girls. But especially for the girls, why are you choosing not to wait for your man to propose to you?

6. Mangagement rings?
Well I don't know about you, but Joe Jonas' version of Single Ladies just isn't the same as Beyonce's. Like seriously Joe, Beyonce's video was one of the best videos of all time. All time. Yeah, I'm just not a big fan of mangagement rings and I'm certainly not a fan of guys dancing around asking for one. Although this guy doesn't look too bad doing it.

5. Avoid competition.
This is not to suggest that guys should offer lame proposals. But this way, a guy's proposal is the one and only proposal. There's no, "I could have done better" or "if I proposed to you, I would have done ____ instead" or "how about I propose to you instead?" There's no need to compare. There's no need for counter-proposals.

4. Guys just don't have the same reaction.
I don't really want to be stereotypical, but girls have a unique way of expressing their emotions. It's just more common for women to burst into tears of joy, jump up and down, run around in circles, and scream. Well obviously there are a bunch of guys out there that would manifest a similar response, but hey, girls are good at being emotional - really good. So let's let them do what they're good at. They look better doing it anyway.

3. Avoid confusion.
Wouldn't it just suck if you were preparing an awesome proposal and waiting for the perfect moment to propose...and then your partner pops the question first? This way, the guys have ample time to prepare, without a sense of urgency spawned by the fear of being proposed to first. No rushing required. And in the same way, there won't be a situation in which two of you are waiting on each other.

2.This is one of the hallmark moments of a woman's life.
I guess I don't really have the credentials to comment on this. But I'm guessing that women do look forward to the day the man of their dreams gets down on one knee. So why on earth would you want to miss this? Isn't it worth the wait? In comparison, I'm not sure how many guys grow up looking forward to the day they get proposed to.

1. All women deserve a man who has the guts to propose to her, thereby voluntarily confining himself to a lifelong commitment.
Wait did I just use the word confine? What I meant to say is that women should look forward to the day that her man explicitly professes his unconditional love for her and his sincere desire to spend the rest of his days by her side. That's what engagements are for.

=)

ps: please check one of the boxes below. and feel free to leave comments. i'd like to hear what you have to say.

Disclaimer: In hopes of not offending anyone, I just wanted to emphasize that this post was not meant to marginalize anyone. I am totally cool with girls proposing to guys and if that is how you guys decide to roll, I'm 100% supportive of your decision. Please let me know if you disagree with anything or if something I said was inappropriate. I do hope you enjoy reading this.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i enjoyed reading it hahaha put a smile on my face

Jason Ho said...

man, i can't imagine what would go through my head if that happened.

Jason Ho said...

i might as well give up on life.

Jason Chan said...

my manhood would be lost! haha jking... but seriously... i wouldnt know what to say...."babe... you re stealing my thunder" HAHAHAH

Jess T said...

i'm getting tatoos ...


and i dont mind girls proposing, shake things up a bit...but then again i am a trent hippie so what do i know other than dreadlocks, birkenstocks, liberalism and controversy! =) hahaha

Jess T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
p.li said...

HI D CHEUNG :)